Things I liked about this project;
- I'm pleased with my fabric choice for the shell and lining
- The pattern was reasonably difficult so pushed my skills and made me learn a few new things
- The pattern was written so well, making it on the whole easy to understand
- Sewing the pockets on to the skirt - even though I did this wrongly at first and had to get out the seam ripper, there was something about this process which I found really exciting.
- I was surprised that I found the button holes easy - I was nervous about sewing them
- I found sewing the panels of the shell (outer) of the skirt together quite difficult, in order to get the right shape - still not sure I managed it, but this is due to my inexperience as a dressmaker
- I somehow managed to mess up the length so that the lining could just be seen below the shell of the skirt, and then needed to take up the hem of the lining another inch or so...no idea how that happened!
With this skirt finally finished, I am looking forward to starting on the Crepe dress as part of the sewalong. It all begins tomorrow, which will be a busy week for me, so I'm looking forward to getting started ASAP.
I'm using this fabric from my stash:
I decided to go for black for the sash - I was looking at red or mustard yellow fabric for the sash but couldn't find a yellow and had second thoughts about the red. Due to the time of year I thought green and red was just too Christmassy. I still need to investigate the possibility of underlining the dress too, as I have not yet decided if I will be doing that.
I'm excited to be involved in the sewalong and also look forward to seeing what others are making too.