*Sigh* Do you remember my excited post about my fabric purchase from Croft Mill? Well, I'm still eagerly awaiting its arrival. I placed the order on Saturday the 6th and had hoped it would have arrived by the following weekend so I could get started. I received an email on Thursday the 10th to say it had been dispatched. I had hoped it would have been sent a bit quicker but still thought it might arrive in time for Saturday. No luck, sadly. Today I emailed Croft Mill to let them know and found out that the package had been returned to them for some reason and they were sending it to me again today. Perhaps I'll get it for this weekend! Anyway, it's been a bit unfortunate for my first experience of fabric shopping online.
Instead I decided to make a toile of one of my 50's dresses, the Advance 7968 - I decided to go for View 1 with the 3/4 sleeves and half button front.
This was the first time I had used a real vintage pattern. It was uncut and factory folded, so I diligently copied all the bodice pieces onto pattern paper and got stuck in. As I feared, the instructions were a bit tricky compared to the Colette Patterns ones. There were a few bits I didn't quite get, although the notches were numbered which helped in matching up. I was so glad I made a toile, as it meant my mistakes weren't so important, as well as allowing me to check the size.
I did have an issue with the ease stitch that was required at the shoulder seams. This is the pattern piece from the top of the bodice back showing the marking where the ease is to be taken in at the shoulder seam;
This is the bodice front on top of the back to show the difference in width for the ease - it seemed like A LOT to me!
And this is the bodice front and back stitched together at the shoulder seam;
Hmmm, it does not look good but I don't know what I did wrongly! Anyone have any tips?
This is the bodice seen from the front;
In this photo I've already taken it in an inch at each side seam but it still looks a bit baggy, though this might change with the skirt attached. It has tucks instead of darts under the bust so I wonder if I should elongate those. You can also see that one of the shoulder pleats (on my right) is facing the wrong way, and should look smoother, like on my left. Again, the value of a toile in allowing you to make mistakes!
I am also planning to add an inch of length to the bodice. I pretty much always add this to patterns as standard due to being tall and it seems to be about right.
I'm really keen to get a better grip on fit this year, so any comments on my toile efforts would be welcomed! I'm planning another trip to Mandors this week too to get some fabric for this dress. I know they've got some new spring fabrics in, so am keeping my fingers crossed that they have just the right thing...