Back at the start of April I posted about my upcoming sewing projects, including View 5 from Simplicity 6138 in a red floral jersey. I've never sewn with a stretch fabric before and it really didn't cross my mind to check in my sewing machine manual to see if my machine could cope with it. It's quite a basic machine (Singer 4205) and when I later checked the manual, I found out it doesn't have a stitch suitable for sewing stretch fabrics like knits or jersey. After some research, it seemed that I could use a zig zag stitch and a ballpoint needle, though it might still be difficult. Ideally a serger/overlocker is the best way to make seams on jersey. If you look at the seams on any t-shirt you have, you'll see that this is how they look;
So in the spirit of productivity, I was in town first thing this morning to buy ballpoint needles for my machine. However when I tried sewing on some fabric scraps, the results were really disappointing.
Using a normal (and brand new) needle gave this result for a a zig zag stitch (on left) and straight stitch (right):
Then I tried a ballpoint needle for a straight stitch (on left) and zig zag (right):
I'm kind of stumped with this one, so if anyone has any tips they can provide I would be grateful. Otherwise this project is being shelved until I can get access to an overlocker.
As for my other sewing projects, the pieces for my Crescent skirt are all cut out and ready to begin with the sewalong. I'm hoping I have a bit more success with that. In preparation for participating in Me Made June, I have purchased a couple of new patterns for easy to make tops I can make with stash fabrics. More on that soon.
In the meantime, back to the knitting....