1200 metres of sewing, represented in spools
During the year I have gathered a collection of empty thread spools. I have been reluctant to throw these out as they are a representation of how much sewing I have achieved this year (over a kilometre's worth!) but they are now starting to fill up my tin of threads. So, what can you do with your empty plastic spools?
- Recycle them!
- Give them to kids to play with - suggestions I've read about include threading them onto string, printing with them and using them to blow bubbles.
Thread spool snowflakes. Image from here.
- Give them to your cat to play with:
My cats were pretty interested in the spools. You could also hang them on a piece of string and tie it to something, like the back of a wooden chair
- Make a toadstool pincushion, using this tutorial from Blueberry Junkie :
Image from Blueberry Junkie
- Make a back massager, using this tutorial - no pictures sadly, but please send me a photo if you make one!
- Make Christmas decorations, like this garland:
- Use them to organise ribbons, bias tape or pieces of elastic:
This was the idea I chose, and it is perfect for keeping things neat in your sewing box. Just secure the end with a pin.
Have you got any other ideas of how to make use of empty thread spools?