Thought I'd share a few pictures of my new skirt, which has already appeared twice in my Me Made May outfits. It's made from my new favourite pattern, Simplicity 3983 from 1952, from which I also made my cord skirt.
Suffice to say, I've already wittered on about how much I love the pattern, and written a full review here, so I will keep it brief. The only changes I made from last time were to make the pockets deeper, add piping to the pocket edge and do a proper waistband with Petersham ribbon. I say 'proper', but I'm not sure I did it as directed as I haven't done one before. Essentially I sewed the ribbon to the waistband piece and then enclosed the ribbon, like a Petersham sandwich. It does make for a waistband that sits perfectly however.
I used an Ikea upholstery fabric, which would be wrong for most dressmaking but seemed to suit the shape of this skirt very well. I tried to engineer the fabric's pattern so that it was concentrated at the bottom with the plainer part at the top. This meant that the piped edge pockets stand out better.
(I don't know why this photo has gone weird, but you can still see the slightly shaped pockets with the piped edging)
I can see more versions of this skirt on the horizon, and am hoping that I have converted a few of you to the joys of the pattern too - judging by the comments on my last post, I think I have!