You know those projects that you keep thinking, 'I really must make that', but never quite get round to? This was one of those projects. I've been using this old make up bag to carry around assorted lady goods for some time. You know, painkillers, nail file, tampons, mirror etc. But look at the state of it:
No wonder it looks so bad, since I've had it for absolutely years. I think I got it for Christmas in about 1994, making it 19 years old. It was from Boots and was made in the UK (pretty sure all similar items would be made in China now) and I think it's interesting how the pattern has aged - it was printed with gold dots but these have started to wear away, making me think that whatever was used to print them was quite acidic, so it has eaten away at the fabric. Anyway, enough about my ancient make up bag - this is what I made to replace it:
The pattern I used is here and can be easily adjusted to suit the size of fabric and zip you have. I used a bit of ex-Liberty fabric I bought at Mandors a few years ago. It's some kind of poly which is perfect for bags and such.
I also treated myself to a new mirror from Buttoned Up and Pinned Down on Folksy:
It's also Liberty fabric but not only was it inexpensive (£3) but it arrived the day after ordering. I had originally wanted a vintage compact mirror but these are not cheap, and I didn't need one with a powder section anyway, which most seem to have. This mirror came in a little drawstring bag, so I don't need to worry about it getting scratched.
It's nice to have a decent looking purse that I'm not embarrassed to pull out of my handbag and it was very quick to make. It was also the first thing I made on my new machine too so was a nice easy project to allow me to get to grips with my machine.
Project 52: 17/52
8 hours ago