SIGN UP NOW CLOSED! SWAP PARTNERS ANNOUNCED SHORTLY....
Who doesn't love to receive a package of sewing items in the mail? And how fun is it to shop for someone who loves sewing as much as you do?
If you agree, then you should join the Spring Sewing Swap.
Last year I hosted the Summer Sewing Swap, in which 42 bloggers from across the world took part. You can find out more about that here.
What's this swap all about then?
- You are allocated a swap partner and put together a package of sewing-related items to send to them
- You spend up to a maximum of £15 (or local equivalent - that's US$22.96 at current rates according to xe.com) purchasing sewing-related items to send to your partner. These can be new/vintage/thrifted, whatever.
- The items may include fabric, patterns (paper or pdf), trims, buttons or similar but use your imagination to choose what you think your partner might like. You should look at their blog to see what kind of things they like to make so you can choose something really appropriate. Although the swap is centred around sewing, you can include other crafty items if your partner is into different crafts too.
- As a guideline, you should send a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 5 items (you don't have to count buttons or other notions individually though, just use your initiative here!)
- You need to be an active blogger to take part, and should have updated your blog in the last month and be interested in sewing (of course!). Your blog or Blogger profile must also include an email address in case I need to check details with you before partners are assigned and so your partner can contact you easily. Please do check this, it's surprising how many people don't have email addresses available on their blogs.
- Leave a comment below to say if you are interested in taking part and I will match you up with a swap partner and post the details of your partner here - so you will need to keep an eye on the blog for updates.
- It means your swap partner can stalk your blog to see what kind of things you like and also because you're less likely to flake out and not fully participate.
- Sewing fans of all backgrounds and abilities are welcome. If you are new to sewing, you can contact your partner to tell them this and perhaps they can pick some things perfect for a newbie. Or if you need guidance selecting gifts for an avid seamstress, just email them for some hints on what they would like. This swap doesn't have to be conducted with the minimum of communication, but I will try and match you with someone who has some level of similarity to you.
- Postage costs are not included in the £15 maximum spend. In your comment, please specify if you would like a partner who lives on the same continent as you to keep postage costs down or if you are happy to post worldwide.
- [For UK-based bloggers, you might have noticed that Royal Mail have recently changed the pricing structure for parcels sent within the UK to be categorised into small and medium size so there might not be a huge difference between sending things within the UK or to the US for example].
- I'll keep sign up open until Wednesday 1st May at 5pm GMT to allow everyone time to sign up and then I will spend around a week matching partners, then you have 5 weeks to choose and send items - i.e. 5 weeks from that date until your partner receives their package.
- Yes, if you have items that you think your swap partner will like, this swap is all about sending thoughtful sewing-related items. Just keep in mind the guidelines on spend and number of items.
- I will make sure that you are matched up with someone different from last time
- Contact them to say hello and find out their address. If you want some help picking what to send, you can email to ask what kind of things they like, or sizes for patterns etc. I'll go over the guidelines again when swap partners are posted.
- Have a look at this post where people posted a link to what they got. There were some seriously lovely packages of sewing-related goodies!
- It's a nice way to find out about some new-to-you blogs and make virtual connections with sewing buddies. Two of last year's participants, Handmade Jane and Cindy of Cation Designs even met up in person when Cindy was on holiday in the UK.
- Comment below by Wednesday 1st May at 5pm GMT to sign up, remembering that you must be an active blogger and have an email address accessible through your Blogger profile or blog.
- Include in your comment if you would prefer your swap partner to be from the same continent/country, or from anywhere in the world.
Whew! That was a LOT of information.
So, who's in then?