I had a strong vision for what this fabric was to become when I bought it at Christmas. It was telling me that it wanted to be a Breton top, and I think that's pretty much what I've got, after some trouble along the way.
I bought the fabric in the John Lewis sale - the sales are the only time it's worth shopping there, as I find the fabric to be pretty pricey. This was half price at £7 per metre and I was able to get this top out of one metre with just a little to spare. The pattern I used was from Sew U Home Stretch, a book I'd used sucessfully before to make the Babydoll dress (twice) so I felt pretty confident with this project.
The first issue was that this jersey, although good quality, was really a bit thin to make a top of this style. When I first sewed the back and front together, the front neckline sagged horribly which may have been a combination of too light fabric and also a narrow upper chest as I've had a similar issue with a shop-bought top. Also the neckline was way too wide and revealed my bra straps, so I had to do some fudging (a lot), and pull the front piece up a bit so that the shoulder seam became wider. The knock-on effect was that the armhole was now too small for the arms seam. This was my fix:
A rather crude looking foldy-thing. I can pretend it's a feature and live with it.
When it came to sewing the arm seams, I realised that the arm pieces were huuuuuuge. I first sewed them as-is, but ended up taking off a massive 2 1/4" at the seam tapering up to the armpit. No idea why the sleeves were so wide but luckily it was an easy fix.
I did TRY to match the side seams and got on OK:
And the verdict of my Current Husband: "That's nice, very Where's Wally".....Cheers....
Maybe not the Breton chic I was aiming for, but close enough.
p.s Thanks for all your #springsewingswap sign ups, I'm working on partnering up right now!
Day 4 in France: Maison Cousu, La Boussole, and More
14 hours ago