Style 1565 1960s Slip. I got this from Winnie of Scruffy Badger in a pattern swap in 2012 (like the last project I posted - same swap!) and it's been lurking on in my 'To Sew' list since then.
I made the plain view A, which has cups lined with the same fabric and self-made bias tape to finish the back edging. I'm not averse to a bit of lace on my nightwear but this fabric is patterned enough that I felt it might be overkill
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Back viewFabric & Notions
Fabric is Alice in Wonderland Liberty fabric, but not from the most recent season of Alice prints. I bought this fabric in 2010/11 from Mandors when I had a voucher, and I've been saving it since then. This fabric has a reasonably large scale print and it's also a bit psychedelic 60s/Charles Rennie Mackintosh-influenced (those roses). I wasn't able to find out anything about the design online, so maybe it wasn't a very popular print.
I put a picture on Instagram and someone commented that they had bought 7 metres from Mandors to make curtains around the same time, but she'd also never seen in anywhere else. A Google search only brings up the latest Alice range, but it would be interesting to know more about this design. I think my original plan was to make a top or blouse, but then I realised that the pale colours might make me look a bit washed out.
No notions were required- the pattern recommends you use ribbon to make the straps, although it doesn't include ribbon in the materials list so you'd have to work out for yourself how much to buy and what width. I wanted to make the straps in the same fabric anyway, as I thought ribbon straps would make it look a bit homemade.
Looks a bit sad and flat without someone wearing it!
Pattern alterations or any design changes
Making the straps from the same fabric, which I think looks great. The pattern is 34" bust but designed for 27" (!) waist, and although I could squeeze into it due to the ease included, it wasn't comfortable. I added 1" in length and added 1" at the bust, tapering out to 2" at the waist, although I ended up bringing the seams in just a little at the underarms, for a neater fit.
I made no attempt at pattern matching, though I have ended up with a flamingo boob (see first photo), which is fun.
Would you sew it again and do anything different next time?
I would definitely make it again. It wasn't hard to make or fit and was easy to get a neat finish inside without too much hand sewing. Next time I would lower the bust darts a little as the fit in this area isn't perfect. However it needs to be loose enough to take it off over your head, so I wasn't worried about getting too close a fit.
Did you use any new techniques?
Would you recommend it to others?
Yes, this is a simple and elegant pattern.
CostThe pattern was free and I can't remember the fabric cost as it was bought before I regularly wrote down the cost. I did have a 40% off voucher so it wouldn't have cost more than £20
I've finally got some elegant nightwear! This is item #5 (my target was 4) of my Vintage Pledge too, which I'm chuffed with. It's great because it's not too heavy on the fabric either and you could make one from just over a metre if you used different fabric for the cup lining and a packet of bias for the back edging.
I'm now thinking of making one from some stashed silk I was given, although thanks to the rejuvenating effect of this project I'm bursting with sewing ideas, so it may have to wait.
On the subject of the Vintage Pledge - check out A Stitching Odyssey for a great giveaway and details of the Vintage pledge posts this month. Our sponsors are The Village Haberdashery and Abakhan, and you'll find details in the blog sidebar of discount codes for both.