Kat's Vintage Pledge Project: Oh Deer Me!

Kat of Modern Vintage Cupcakes is a lover of vintage patterns from the 1940s onwards, combining classic shapes with bright and quirky prints, as perfectly illustrated by her #vpjuly project!
Hi there vintage pledge people! My name's Kat, and I blog over at Modern Vintage Cupcakes. I love the vintage pattern pledge - I've taken part ever since it started. I really enjoy using vintage patterns, and tend to sew a mix of vintage 1940's through to 1970's, and modern indie patterns.
Today, I've got my latest creation to show you - my Oh Deer dress!
Pattern Details
For this, I used Simplicity 4298 - a "7 day wardrobe" pattern from the early 1960's. It's been in my stash for a couple of years now (I may have a rather extensive vintage pattern stash. Whoops!) and I've been planning on making it up for about that long! I love the idea of wardrobe patterns - I actually have plans to make all the variations in this pattern to have a "7 day wardrobe" as the pattern suggests. ;-)

Fabric & Notions
I recently got this Michael Miller cotton poplin (from Minerva Crafts) and decided to match it with the full-skirted version of the dress, with gathers over the skirt sides. It's a lovely lightweight poplin, so worked really well with the bulk of the gathers.
The pattern itself is a nice simple one, fairly classic for that era. A dart-fitted bodice with a wide neck, facings, and a rectangular skirt gathered into the waist. It fastens down the back with a zipper (I used an invisible one, rather than the dress zip that would have been used in that era).
Sewing it Up
The skirt is actually meant to be about 15-20cm longer than in my dress but, well, this was all the fabric I had! So after cutting out the bodice, I simply folded the rest in half, made sure the deer mostly lined up, and then cut the skirt out of what was left.

Other changes I made were to fit. I've got an AA cup, so naturally I always have to do an SBA on vintage patterns! So I did some dart manipulation and removed the waist dart on the bodice, keeping only the side dart. That then got lowered, and the bodice lengthened by about 1.5cm.
The other change I made was to use a bias facing on the armholes, rather than a classic fabric facing. Again, this was purely due to not having quite enough fabric. (Whoops!)

And there we have it - one new vintage pattern dress, covered with deer and flowers! :-)
My inlaws were looking after our kids this morning, so my partner and I went for a walk to a World War II radio bunker out on the South Coast of Wellington. So cold! Such gorgeous views!

Happy sewing everyone, and a huge thank-you to Kerry and Marie for inviting me to take part in the July fun, and for continuing to run such a great sewing theme challenge! :-)
Thanks Kat! I love the fabric and that pattern looks like one you can make over and over again!

K x


  1. Wonderful Kat ;o) Love the colours as well as the print. I've been meaning to make something with the skirt gathers to the side like this. Well done on braving the cold!

    1. I'm a big fan of the fabric too, looks like such a wearable fun dress


Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say