New Look Maudella 6038 for a shirt or a shirtdress with a mandarin collar, kimono sleeves, a front part button placket and splits at the side seams.
I loved the sleeves and the overall shape, whilst harbouring some reservations that it may be a bit nightie-like. This was because the outline drawing on the envelope shows that it has no shaping, and as the illustration of the dress shows some kind of scarf being used for a belt.
I used a divine linen rayon mix from The Man Outside Sainsburys, it's a dark, inky blue-black with brown flowers. Karen of Did You Make That? has also made a dress from this fabric too.
The length as cut was too long - I took a few inches off the length and raised the height of the side split to make sure its proportions matched. I also shaped the side seams slightly to make it more flattering, tapering in at the waist and out again.
Would you sew it again and do anything different next time?
I'd make it again and I think it would be nice with a normal shirt collar too. It would be lovely in a chambray or a plain fabric with a slight drape.
2 metres of fabric at £3/m - £6 (I used less)
Buttons - 60p
Thread, interfacing already in stash
Pattern - About £2
Total - £8.60
If I lived closer to Walthamstow Market I would have a huge fabric stash. That place is amazing!
I'm really happy that I got around to making something with this fabric soon after buying it and I've worn it a couple of times over the winter - with tights! Despite my nightdress fears, I think it looks like an acceptable dress. The small amount of side shaping I added helped, but the drapey fabric makes it flattering. I was a bit unsure of the size of the sleeves and thought that maybe they were too big, but I have made my peace with that now. As the fabric is part rayon it has a nice drape to it, while the linen gives it weight and a lovely texture.
I'll be making it again and trying it as a shirt next time.